Fasting is a great way to support your overall health and give rest and relaxation to your body systems. In this episode, Jen shares the what, when and how of fasting and explains how it can assist with weight loss, reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, increase sleep and assist in your overall longevity.
Did you enjoy the podcast today? Please let me know by leaving a review on Apple Podcasts. Every month I draw one lucky reviewer to have a free one-hour consultation with me. Also, remember to subscribe wherever you’re tuning in from so that you always catch the next episode.
Today I’m talking about the F word. What’s the F word? FASTING. As a naturopath, I often prescribe fasting for cleansing and detoxification.
What are the benefits of fasting?
- Fasting gives proper relaxation to the mind and body
- Fasting lifts your vibe and refreshes you
- Fasting can reduce your cholesterol levels
- Fasting can help with weight loss
- Fasting improves blood sugar levels
- Fasting can improve sleep
- Fasting can reduce inflammation
- Fasting can lower blood pressure
- Fasting can help cells recycle and reform
- Fasting can boost your metabolism
- Fasting can reduce oxidative stress (a major influence on ageing)
- Fasting can increase longevity
There are a couple of points to understand when it comes to fasting:
- Fasting isn’t only not eating
- Fasting doesn’t make your body detox – it supports your body’s detoxing body systems
- Fasting takes the pressure of body systems so they can relax more into doing what they are meant to do with ease
To achieve all the benefits above, it’s important that fasting is done in a way that doesn’t stress the body. Fasting is meant to be a rejuvenating process that allows your mind and body to rest.
- When should you fast? Sun up to sun down and go to bed early if you need. Here in Australia, spring is right around the corner, and it’s a great energetic time to start with a seasonal cleanse
- How often should you fast? One day a week and no more than 4-6 days a month. You can lead to undernourished adrenal glands and thyroid if you fast in excess.
- How should you fast? A supported fasting is best. I take cleansing and adaptogen herbs to support my body’s detoxifying systems. A link to the ones I use is in the helpful links below.
Healthy Life Hacks
So, the healthy life hacks I want to leave you with today are:
- If you have never fasted or cleansed. Schedule one in, as I mentioned, seasonal change is a great time to do this.
- Know why you want to fast and commit that you will complete it (remembering the why will be great when temptations creep up).
Are you looking for more great resources? Get a free copy of my Feed Your Body ebook here and be sure to explore my blog while you are there.