Are you hiding behind the word ‘but’? ‘But’ is a word we often use as an excuse or justification for our actions or lack of actions. If you aren’t careful, it can disempower you from playing the bigger game you want to play. In this episode, Jen discusses the importance of watching your words and shares strategies to help you move your but to start living the life you want to live.
Did you enjoy the podcast today? Please let me know by leaving a review on Apple Podcasts. Every month I draw one lucky reviewer to have a free one-hour consultation with me. Also, remember to subscribe wherever you’re tuning in from so that you always catch the next episode.
Have you been trying to achieve a goal and it comes close, but then it goes away and comes close then goes away? Today I want to talk to you about moving your ‘but’.
Our words have an incredible impact on our life and can influence our thoughts and actions. One small word that can have a big impact is the word ‘but’.
‘But’ means to have an excuse, “I want to do this, but…”
The word excuse comes from the Latin word ‘excusare’, which means to be free from blame. In the 14th Century, excuse meant “to obtain exemption or release from an obligation or duty.
In the 16th Century again, it meant obligation “that which one is bound or obliged to do, especially by moral or legal claims a duty.”
Every time you say the word ‘but’, it is an excuse, and you use an excuse when you feel energetically obliged to do.
I decided a long time ago that I won’t do obligation. That has been a conscious choice for me for the last 30 years. What I know for me is that if there is something I ‘should’ do – and should is an obligation – I energetically move away from it. I won’t do it. If I visit someone, have a chat with someone, go somewhere or do something, it is a choice that I consciously make.
I chose to live a life of freedom, where I get to choose, and my family know it. I visit them when I choose, and it means that when I’m there, I really want to be with them – not coming from a place of thinking that I should go and see them.
What is sitting behind your ‘but’?
Often it is the classics:
- Fear of failure
- A self-esteem issue
- Fear of success
- Fear of having something to lose
The bottom line
Excuses prevent you from living the life you want, AND we are so good at justifying!
What is the solution?
- Mind your tongue – Change ‘but’ to ‘yes’ or ‘and’ this
- triggers your mind to focus on it’s possible
- Find the excitement in it – move through your fear and turn it into excitement (check out episode 29 for more on this one)
- Respond don’t react – stop breathe respond
- Don’t justify your excuses
- Live in the present not out of your past
- Don’t play the comparison game
- Be accountable
- Realise you won’t die
- See excuses as a way to grow
By doing this, you will empower yourself and raise your self-esteem.
Use aromatherapy essential oils to support you
I blend for the emotional impact:
- Grapefruit – Helps with optimism and moves self-doubt
- Lemon – Helps you respond rationally
- Fennel – Moves fear of failure and helps you stand in confidence. Fennel helps you take your place in the world
Healthy Life Hacks
So, the healthy life hacks I want to leave you with today are:
- Remember to stop breathe respond.
- Try some aromatherapy, either your own blend or my Move Your Butt blend.
- Don’t make excuses or justify. Say yes or and move forward.
Are you looking for more great resources? Get a free copy of my Feed Your Body ebook here and be sure to explore my blog while you are there.