In research commissioned by Grand United Corporate Health earlier this year, only six percent of people interviewed felt that they had a handle on work-life balance .Four out of five people said they were experiencing work-related stress at least once a week (I know some of you are thinking, ‘I wish I were stressed only once a week!’), and almost three-quarters of people said that a lack of time was their main challenge to leading a balanced life.
The way that many of us try to make up for this lack of time is to cram more and more in – we figure if we work longer hours we’ll clear our in-tray and then we’ll have more time for a balanced life. But we all know it doesn’t work that way – the in-tray never does clear…and we never do get around to creating and enjoying that more balanced life.
The way to create balance in life really is simple; it’s about getting back to some quick and easy lifestyle basics every day. Try one (or more) of these workday balance boosters.
Ten workday balance-boosters
1. Remember that you are only human and give yourself permission to be a mere mortal. If you do find that you are not living up to your own expectations in any area of life, be glad that you noticed it, and correct your behaviour – don’t beat yourself up.
2. Drink a glass of water (or eight). Your body is made up of 70 per cent water and it needs to be constantly replenished – 70 per cent of what you put into your mouth every day should be water.
3. Take a breather. Breathing is what keeps you alive. Take a ‘fresh air’ break every hour and breathe deeply and slowly if you’re under pressure to break the stress cycle.
4. Eat your lunch away from your desk every day this week and encourage your workmates to do the same – you’ll all be more productive and energised from the break.
5. Snack on almonds instead of biscuits and chocolate. Almonds are full of magnesium which is the mineral your nervous system needs in order to relax.
6. Smile, go on, right now…big cheesy grin at the person next to you. Smiles are contagious, watch them smile right back at you, and you’ll both enjoy the day more!
7. Be spontaneous – call someone you love and tell them so. Yes, do it now!
8. Understand that when you allow someone to help you, it helps them to feel needed and valued, so next
time someone asks you if you need a hand, say. ‘Thank you’ and accept their help graciously.
9. Drift away with some aromatherapy oils – you’ll not only make your home or office smell great, but you’ll help everyone to be more relaxed as well.
10. Leave work on time today – go home and enjoy your family and friends.