The first place that we cut corners when we are busy or stressed is our eating and in particular our breakfast. The food you eat forms the very building blocks of your body, but most of us have lost sight of the fact that food is fuel and that the purpose of eating is to provide our bodies with the tools they need for energy, functioning, building and maintenance. We eat for a variety of different reasons, none of which relate to the idea of providing our bodies with quality fuel. We eat unconsciously, we use food to fill emotional voids or to be sociable and we fill our bodies with things that we all know aren’t good for us – in effect, rather than using food as essential fuel, we use it to inflict damage on ourselves.
Here are 3 options for a quick and easy, healthy breakfast to kick start your day. All recipes take only five minutes or less to prepare.
Protein Power Shake
Mix in a blender – 1 piece of fruit i.e. banana or mango are divine
- 1 handful of almonds (for protein and good fats)
- Milk or Water for liquid (I use water to save the extra calories)
- 1 dessertspoon of flaxseed oil (for good fats)
- Cinnamon or nutmeg to tasteProtein Pan Cakes
- Beat 2 tablespoons of raw rolled oats into 2 egg whites and cook on a hot pan (no oil)
- Top with a piece of fruit chopped up, low fat cottage cheese and some real maple syrup or honey.
Cottage Cheese, Nuts and Fruit
This is the quickest, cut up a piece of fruit, top with a handful of raw almonds and some low fat cottage cheese. Eat and go.
All of these quick breakfasts can be prepared and eaten at home in a space where you can mentally prepare for the day. Eating on the run at work is not feeding your body energy.
Start the day with a simple breakfast at home.